Gaians supported their favorite Gaia character by feeding them pies, after a few days characters with the lowest level would start being eliminating by three npcs a day until there were only six remaining. Those six were to be the finalists in phase 2 of the event.
The forum "Pie Hard" was created on June 29 and Gaians waited for the event to begin. A hangout was created on launch called the Pie Paradise. During the first hours(days) of the event, Gaians got to work on earning achievements for pie tasks.
- Jun 30
[NPC] admin: AnnouncementEdit
The first leg of Gaia's summer event is here! Rina has devised an ingenious method to get rid of all her surplus pies: Pie Hard, an epic pie-eating tournament that will separate the strong from the weak, the bold from the meek and the hungry from the truly ravenous.
There's just one problem: way too many contestants signed up! The first order of business will be weeding out the weak-stomached in a qualifying round. A few dozen of Gaia's finest characters are competing, and it's up to you to help your favorites out!
To get your most beloved Gaia resident a shot in the finals, you'll need to help them expand their stomach capacity by feeding them as many pies as you can get-- the more pie-eating practice they get, the better their odds of advancing to the main competition. Rina will be conveniently selling pies for the occasion!
Rina's most loyal customers-- those who buy whole pies-- will get it marked on their Stamp Card. Fill up your card once and she'll reward with you a special item; fill it up five times and she'll give you an even more special one. (If you forget what's going on you can see a helpful reminder in the rollover text for "What is it?" ).
To rally support for your favorite Gaia NPCs, visit the Pie Hard forum!
[NPC] Cindy Donovinh: AnnouncementsEdit
The Pie Hard qualifying round is heating up! Only six finalists can make it through to the next round, and weak-stomached contenders are already dropping like flies. Twelve unlucky pie-gorgers have already been eliminated: Sasha, T-Bone, Russell Ace, Ruby, Ron Bruise, Dr. Singh, Mirai, Logan, Josie, Edy, Lex and Leon.
To make sure your favorite contestant doesn't stall out in the preliminary round, you'll need to keep shoving pies into their grateful gullets. Diedrich, Kanoko and the Ian/Rufus tag-team are currently dominating the field, but there's still time to organize a big fan push to keep your horse in the race-- don't slouch now, pie feeders!
The qualifying round of Pie Hard is almost at an end, and the field has been narrowed to just eleven contenders! Diedrich, Kanoko, Louie and the Ian/Rufus team are still getting the most attention, but the fight for the last two slots is getting more and more heated.
Carl and Moira are still clinging to the bottom two finalist seats, but Devin and Stein are nipping closely at their heels. And don't count out Sam, Liam and Agatha-- they may be a little behind, but a big weekend push by their loyal fans could definitely push them over the top.
Don't let your favorite contenders get knocked out-- jump back in and start shoving pies into faces!
The qualifying round of Pie Hard has come to an end! The last two contenders have been eliminated, and we're down to the final six-- to find out who made the cut, take a look at the Pie Hard page:
Stay tuned for the next round (coming later this summer) when the finalists will go head to head in a pie-eating contest... TO THE DEATH! Well, not really to the death, but it ought to be pretty intense.
The six finalists are now locked in an epic pie-eating battle unlike this world has ever seen before. They'll be scarfing down pies morning to night, and it's your duty to cheer them on and help keep their morale up during the horrible, delicious ordeal.
First, you'll visit the event page choose a contestant to throw your weight behind. Your loyalty is important, so once you pick a favorite, you'll have to stick with them!
While the pie eating contest is going on, visit the event forum. You'll be given a limited number of irregular, discarded pies. Throw them in the faces of other people to earn points! Post in the Pie Hard Forum for even more points!
You can use the points you earn to cheer on your favorite contestant or boo your enemies. During each round of the contest, your cheers and boos will determine whether they successfully eat the pie or not!
Hitting "Cheer" during a rival contestant's turn will help that contestant, not your own team. Of course, you're free to cheer rival contestants, if you're feeling charitable.
Contestants take turns eating pies. The counter above each contestant shows the time left until their next pie-eating round. When the counter hits zero, you may need to refresh the page to see the next round.
Once in a while, contestants who were eliminated in the qualifying round may show up to help or sabotage the finalists. Be on the lookout-- spotting and clicking on these rare events may earn you special prizes!
The final winner will be the contestant who eats the most pies. Your cheers hold the key to determining the winner, so don't slack in the enthusiasm!
Get out there and PIE HARD!
[NPC] Rina: AnnouncementsEdit
Yeesh! When I first started this pie-eating contest, I never thought it would cause so much drama and craziness. The final round is about to start, and I'm a little nervous-- we have six finalists left, and they're all deadly serious about eating pie.
Since we’re at the final round, things will be a little different. There will be more items, more fun and way more pie drama! First, you’ll have to pick your favorite finalist and stick with your choice. Then, you can head to the event forum and take part in a massive pie fight. Throwing pies at other Gaians will earn you points; you can use these points to cheer your favorite contestant or boo your enemies. Your cheers and boos will mean the difference between pie-eating glory and queasy defeat!
Oh... and I wouldn't be surprised if contestants from the past came back and caused a little trouble. Watch out!
You can find out more about how to play in this thread. Once you're ready to join the fun, head over to the event page; you'll find links to the forum, a new manga update, and a new hangout space where you can chat with friends and hurl some pies.
Oh my gosh! This pie-eating contest is getting pretty brutal... there's only one day left, and all the contestants are teetering on the brink of barfy ruin after so many solid days and nights of pie.
The only thing keeping them going at this point is the cheers of their fans. If you want to give your favorite contestant one last burst of energy, now's your chance-- the winning team gets an exclusive item, so the stakes are high. Also, that weird Diedrich cloney thing has been popping up a little more often lately, so if you're still looking for it, keep at it.
It'll all be over after tomorrow night, so get back in there and Pie Hard!
Whew! It was a pretty exhausting pastry ordeal for me, but Pie Hard with a Vengeance is over! Rufus and Ian clung to their early lead till the bitter end-- I guess people just found it too sad to boo an adorable pie-eating kitty. Everyone who signed up for team Ian will get a victory prize, and those who backed other contestants will get a slightly less victorious reward.
Here's how the rest of the contestants placed:
Big thanks to everyone who cheered, booed, threw pies or just hung around to enjoy the contest! To grab your winning item (or your not-so-winning item), head to the event homepage:
It was a pretty exhausting pastry ordeal for Rina, but Pie Hard with a Vengeance is ended and Ian and Rufus clung to their early lead till the bitter end and won. Everyone who signed up for team Ian got a victory prize, and those who backed other contestants got a slightly less victorious reward.
Event items: Pie HardEdit
- Pies! Pies! Pies! - Scrumptious! Delicious! OM-NOM-NOM-NOM
- Giant Spoon & Fork - Weapons for attacking any giant pies that may come your way!
Event Items: Pie Hard With a VengeanceEdit
Face Paints, by choosing a contestant for part 2
- Team Carl Face Paint - Show your team spirit with this brightly colored, mostly lead-free paint.
- Team Diedrich Face Paint - Show your team spirit with this brightly colored, mostly lead-free paint.
- Team Ian and Rufus Face Paint - Show your team spirit with this brightly colored, mostly lead-free paint.
- Team Kanoko Face Paint - Show your team spirit with this brightly colored, mostly lead-free paint.
- Team Louie Face Paint - Show your team spirit with this brightly colored, mostly lead-free paint.
- Team Stein Face Paint - Show your team spirit with this brightly colored, mostly lead-free paint.
Pennants, by cheering for chosen contestant 20 times in one go or 50 overall
- Team Carl Pennant - Let's go Carl LET'S GO!
- Team Diedrich Pennant - Let's go Diedrich LET'S GO!
- Team Ian and Rufus Pennant - Let's go Ian and Rufus LET'S GO!
- Team Kanoko Pennant - Let's go Kanoko LET'S GO!
- Team Louie Pennant - Let's go Louie LET'S GO!
- Team Stein Pennant - Let's go Stein LET'S GO!
Shirt, by cheering 200 times over all
- Team Carl Shirt - Official licensed Pie Hard merchandise. Machine washable for easy removal of pie filling stains.
- Team Diedrich Shirt - Official licensed Pie Hard merchandise. Machine washable for easy removal of pie filling stains.
- Team Ian and Rufus Shirt - Official licensed Pie Hard merchandise. Machine washable for easy removal of pie filling stains.
- Team Kanoko Shirt - Official licensed Pie Hard merchandise. Machine washable for easy removal of pie filling stains.
- Team Louie Shirt - Official licensed Pie Hard merchandise. Machine washable for easy removal of pie filling stains.
- Team Stein Shirt - Official licensed Pie Hard merchandise. Machine washable for easy removal of pie filling stains.
Winning and consolation, obtained by end of the event
- Pie Cape - Luxurious and delicious. Truly a winner of winner's cape.
- Food Coma - Too many... pies.... so.... sleepy......... uuuughhhhhh
Event Items: SpecialEdit
- Rina's Pie Print Apron - I tried eating the pies on my apron once, and I found out they weren't as tasty as they looked. :' c
- Live Free or Pie Hard - Just another day in paradise.
- Formula 1: Live Free or Pie Hard - Use this formula to craft Live Free or Pie Hard! / *This formula and components only available during Pie Hard with a Vengeance*
- Alchemy components: (1) x Bottled Abrasive Sexuality / (1) x Devin's Soothing Mantra / (1) x Diedrich Clone/ (1) x Gro-gain Beard / (1) x Moira's Tunes / (1) x =Mr. Bibble's Silky White Cat Fur / (1) x Ol Pete's Fleas / (1) x Rina's Secret Pie Ingredient
- Bottled Abrasive Sexuality - Warning: Strong side effect of becoming a stalker.
- Devin's Soothing Mantra - In stressful moments, you need to relax with some soothing noise.
- Diedrich Clone - ' 'Did you know I can reproduce myself?' '
- Gro-gain Beard - The hair tonic known to have strange effects.
- Moira's Tunes - For the hardcore punk rock fans.
- =Mr. Bibble's Silky White Cat Fur - A piece of fluffy fur ball from Mr. Bibble.
- Ol Pete's Fleas - W-what?!! Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?!!!
- Rina's Secret Pie Ingredient - It has a very fragrant flower smell to it.
Criticism & ComplimentsEdit
Currently a WIP
Glitches & ProblemsEdit
Copied verbatim from Gaia Online thread by Developer
- Jun 30
There was a small glitch with pie purchases not logging correctly and thus not counting on your stamp cards. This has since been fixed and we apologize for any inconvenience it caused you. If you were affected by this we can go ahead and grant back the gold you spent on the pies that weren't logged.
What we'll need from you is a screen shot of the Piehard Event page and also of your stats in the Piehard forum. If you know how many pies you didn't get counted for then you can include that as well, but we at least need the two screen shots so we can refund your gold.
Once you have this information please send it all in an email over to membertalk @ gaiaonline dot com with the title of "Piehard Event Glitch".
Make sure to include your username when you send the email or we will not be able to process your email.
Before you report remember that when playing the event 6 slices make a whole pie. You'll get 1 sticker for every 6 slices of pie you purchase.
We believe the current issue has been fixed. In order for it to work for you, you will need to clear the cache on your computer. Once you have done so the event should work correctly for you.
To learn how to clear your cache, click this link: Clearing your Cache
- Jul 03
The Way Too Many Pies achievement is currently only granting if you fed the same NPC 1,000 times. It should be granting for having fed a total of 1,000 pies (slices or whole) regardless of who it was. A fix will be pushed out tomorrow morning. If you were feeding an NPC that was eliminated fear not, when the fix goes out it will still count those feeds as well.
On some browsers notably IE (but sometimes others) requests to our servers are failing. The symptoms of this are nearly identical to the last fixed bug but with an easily identifiable difference. Those with this bug are able to continue purchasing pies in quick succession and rarely receive the "come back later" message. If you are experiencing this please note that those requests are not actually being processed and so no purchases actually being made.
I'll push out a fix for this Tuesday, in the interim if you experience this I recommend after each purchase you wait 20 seconds and then refresh the page to confirm it went through and your pies are increasing as you're expecting.
- This is the first event to have up to 43 characters participate.
- This is the first event to release the most badges, thirteen in total.
- There were emotes created as well as the return of the cat emotes from the Meowbook event.
- Due to the achievement, Pieversity, being known hours later by Gaians and a few glitches, there was feedback about missing the first day of pies. Those who missed them got the opportunity to try and achieve Pieversity by waiting for the re-release. However, the second to last day of pies would not see this treatment, as the second phase of the event was approaching.
Gallery: Achievement BadgesEdit
- Gaia Event Page: Pie Hard
- Event Guide: Summer 2k11 pt1 // Event Guide: Summer 2k11 pt2 // Event Guide: Summer 2k11 pt3
- Gaia Forum: Pie Hard
- Announcement: Gaia's Summer Event: Pie Hard!
- Announcement: Pie Hard: Keep shoveling those pies!
- Announcement: Pie Hard: The qualifying round is almost over!
- Announcement: Pie Hard: The finalists have been chosen!
- Announcement (Sticky): Pie Hard: Elimination Updates!
- Announcement (Sticky): Piehard Event Updates
- Announcement (Sticky): If you had problems with the Stamp card - Updated
- Announcement (Sticky): PieHard Event Glitch - Updated 07/05
Pie Hard: With A Vengeance
- Gaia Event Page: Pie Hard: With A Vengeance
- Announcement: Summer Event Part 2: Pie Hard with a Vengeance
- Announcement: Pie Hard with a Vengeance: It's Almost Over!
- Announcement: Pie Hard with a Vengeance: It's All Over!
- Announcement (Sticky): Pie Hard with a Vengeance: How to Pie!
Note: The links are only here for history purposes, these links should not be clicked as they will yield no results.
- Gaia Flash Space: Pie Paradise