When fish are caught they may be traded or sold to [NPC] Old Man Logan for gold, they can also be traded for fishing items or better fish via the Exchange Fish, all at the The Ole Fishing Hole. And once a month, prizes are given for the top fishers at each lake, as well as for the best overall catch and most junk caught. These prizes are Fishing Trophies: Gold means getting 1st place in Overall, Bass'ken Lake, Port of Gambino, or Durem Reclamation Facility, or in Junk. Silver is 2nd place and Bronze is 3rd-10th place; in all the waters or in Junk.
Gaia is getting back to nature to enjoy the primal thrill and struggle of avatar versus fish in the first fishing simulation mini game available on Gaia Online. Test your skills in fishing to capture the rarest fish in the world of Gaia. Become a top fisherman by purchasing upgradeable fishing poles and master the battles you’ll have to endure to capture creatures that will deem valuable in the Gaian marketplace.
There are three different bodies of water for fishing, two lakes and one facility.
- Bass'ken Lake
- Described as the easiest area for fishing.
- Port of Gambino
- Described as exotic and having a medium difficulty for fishing.
- Durem Reclamation Facility
- Described as the most difficult area for fishing. This area contains the rarest type of fish the Lionfish, known also as Lionback.
There are three types of bait to purchase to lure in fish, the higher the grade the better the catch and least likely to reel in junk.
- Grade F Fish Bait - The package reads: 'This fish bait is rated Grade F - Not Fit For Human Consumption - Suitable for fish and other marine wildlife.' Hey, better than nothing. (25 Gaia Gold)
- Grade D Fish Bait - The package reads: 'This fish bait is rated Grade D - Fit For Human Consumption - Suitable for fish and other marine wildlife.' A step up from grade F, I'm pretty sure I'll have better chances of catching better fish using this stuff. (100 Gaia Gold)
- Grade A Fish Bait - The package reads: 'This fish bait is rated Grade A - A delicacy to any species in or out of water.' OMG, with this bait I'll have MUCH better chances of scoring better fish all the time! (250 Gaia Gold)
There are four types of rods and each has the possibility of being upgrade by purchase. Another rod that is special is the Angelic Rod, a rod given to Fishers of great skill and those who have spent a lot of time Fishing. When new Gaians arrived on the site they would receive a free Basic Fishing Rod and bait. Rods with a shorter casting distance make it easier to catch fish, but must be cast further to hook the more valuable fish.
- Basic Fishing Rod: A basic wooden fishing rod. Small and sturdy, this rod is an essential start for any fisherman. (100, upgrade for 10,000 Gaia Gold)
- Strength Rod: A heavy weight, inflexible rod designed for up close pulling battles. As such, this rod cannot cast as far as other rods in its class. This rod provides superior control at shorter distances but offers less control at longer distances. (1850, upgrade for 11,075 Gaia Gold)
- Performance Rod: An all around performing rod. This rod provides great control at far and short distances, but less control at midrange pulls. (2475, upgrade for 12,500 Gaia Gold)
- Distance Rod: A slender, flexible rod built for distance casting. This rod provides superior control at longer distances but offers less control on close pulls. (3500, upgrade for 13,050 Gaia Gold)
- Angelic Rod: The god of all rods.
Each of the three bodies of water contains its own species of fish. These fish range from small, medium, to large and rare. Rare fish are hard to catch as it requires patience to wait for the fish and the skill to keep them within the line while reeling them in.
Main article: List of Gaia Fishing fishes
These items are found in all three bodies of water and are the easiest and most common items to catch. The junk can be sold at Logan's shop for gold or exchanged to create wearable items.
- g = Gaia Gold
- sb = Sellback
- pt = Points
- Old Can - What a piece of junk. Wait... perhaps if I recycle these I can save up for a piece of chewing gum 5 to 6 years from now. SCORE!!! (2g w/sb 1g /2pt)
- Old Boot - Now if only I had one more I wouldn't have to buy shoes. Why is it that people are always going swimming with their boots on? (4g w/sb 2g /4pt)
- Old Boot - Why is it that people are always going swimming with their boots on? (4g w/sb 2g /4pt) updated description
- Big Old Tire - Geebus! What am I gonna do with this junk!? An old tire. Looks like it's off a car from the 50's. You know, like way before your time. (6g w/sb 3g /6pt)
- Big Old Tire - An old tire. Looks like it's off a car from the 50's. You know, like way before your time. (6g w/sb 3g /6pt) updated description
- Driftwood - One man's junk is another man's wood. (8g w/sb 4g /8pt)
The Captcha Crash of 2015 Edit
In May of 2015, Gaia fishing experienced an error with the captcha system that left players unable to save their buckets, causing them to not be able to keep any fish that were caught.
To date, the captcha system is still no longer functioning. Player can type in any value into the captcha verification system and the fish will then save to your inventory.