Gaia Cinemas was a virtual space that allowed Gaians to assemble in a cinema lobby and check listings at the box office to view live action films and shorts. The movies shown were legally displayed as many were under fair use (public domain classics), sponsored, or paid-for-view by Gaians who would purchase tickets with Gaia Cash. The listings were set to update every Monday, however, this varied.
The outdated system is still use, and so there are both Old and New Gaia Cinemas. The theater setting is now used to display sponsor trailers. There are some links to various shorts that are still active.
To view a film visit one of the movie profiles below. In each profile, you'll see a list of screening rooms and show times. The number below each screen is the number of people currently in the theater. New showings begin every ten minutes.
Pick a screen, wait for the movie to start, and enjoy the show!
Cinema tips copied verbatim:
- Control your avatar by clicking the mouse where you want to walk, or by pressing the arrow keys on your keyboard.
- When you walk near a theater seat, you can click on it to sit down. To stand up again, click the "pose" button in the lower right corner.
- Visit the snack bar to buy special Cinema emotes. There are tons of obnoxious things to do: you can throw popcorn, shine a laser pointer at the screen, throw fireballs at your fellow Gaians, and much more.
- If you want to turn off the "active emotes" (fireballs, tomatoes, etc), you can click the "?" button in the upper left corner of the screen.
- The movie will start at the same time for everybody in the room, but various issues might cause you to lose sync. If your witty comments seem to be going over poorly, it might mean that you're watching a different part of the movie as everyone else! To sync up, click another person in the theater and select the "sync" option from the menu.
- If your movie-going experienced is dampened by any bugs, please visit our Official Cinema Bug Report Thread!
Alas, Poor CinemasEdit
We regret to report that after years of high-quality entertainment and electrifying Tony Danza movies, Gaia Cinemas have been closed due to what can only be described as a total lack of interest. We loved the feature, but we must now bid it a fond farewell.
Main article: List of Gaia Cinemas media
- With Sony and Warner Bros. sponsoring the theater, it was possible to show The Matrix and many other box office hits.