|i|| This article (or section) contains information of a very questionable nature and any use of this information to violate the Gaia Online Terms of Service and break the rules of the site might result a ban or warning of the account.|
Gaiapedia does NOT condone any use of such information to gain Gaia Gold and Gaia Items.
The fake egg scam was introduced by Gaians during Easter 2k4, April 2004, when the scavenger hunt feature was implemented. During the Easter egg hunt, an egg could appear randomly in a thread, it is in threads where the act happens. It involves using the image of the official egg and placing it as a signature or within thread comments, and thus making it appear as if a legit egg has appeared, Gaians who click on it only to discover that is just an image.
Another version of the fake egg scam involves attaching a link to the image and having it lead offsite or even a phishing site. While some Gaians were attempting to be good humored about offsite links by linking to search engines, video sites, their own profile or a random Gaia thread.
Given that the phishing links stood to be too risky for the joke to continue without consequence, from 2004 and onward there is information about them in announcements and even a warning toward people who attempt to spread fake eggs. The act will lead to an account being banned.
Since 2004 there have been many attempts by Gaia staff to curb the fake egg issue. These involved:
- An official sticky thread headed by an Administrator or Moderator, where users could chat and possibly collect eggs as the thread grew.
- An 'Alert Bubble' created to inform Gaians that a legitimate egg can be found in a thread.
- Disabling signatures in the designated event forum.
- Official announcement threads about the event having a warning about fake eggs and the consequences of their usage.
- Encouraging Gaians to report postings and signatures that show fake egg usage.
- Eggs being collectable outside of threads. This means being able to find an egg around the site (e.g. forum interface, landing pages).
- Having the eggs be scrollable. This means once an egg appears on a page, scrolling 'down or up' causes the egg to travel with the scrolling action.
- Having the eggs appear in absurd places, this makes it impossible for Gaians (who only have access to simple forum coding) to duplicate the image's position.
- ↑ Topic 32 min left until 9:00 pst!!! - Posted: HidekiSenpai; PhantomFang. Page2 Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:34 pm Retrieved 2014 November 12
- ↑ Topic I remember last easter... - Posted: Chibi Rave Page1 Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:37 am Retrieved 2014 November 12
- ↑ Topic PLEASE HELP theres a hacker going around fooling people - Posted: Ichigo Vizard Kurosaki. Page1 Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:21 am Retrieved 2014 November 12
- ↑ Topic reporting a fake egg - Posted: BlondikeBetty. Page1 Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:37 pm Retrieved on 2014 November 12